Five things that a counselor/therapist wants you to know:
- You don’t have to be diagnosed with a mental illness to go to therapy. Counseling can be just like going to the doctor for a check up. You are experiencing an issue or “stuck” in your life and are seeking help with it. There is nothing wrong with going to counseling or therapy.
- It is not a therapist/counselors job to give you advice. Although some would think that this is what counselors are supposed to do it is quite the opposite. Why would you want someone to take your power away and tell you what to do? A good counselor will assist you in making your own choices and guide you in the direction that you want to go.
- Just going to therapy/counseling won’t necessarily help-You have to participate! Participation is key in getting the results that you want in counseling/therapy. The outcomes may not be what you are seeking if you are not willing to participate and have self -reflection of what it is that you are seeking to change.
- Therapy does not have to be along term commitment. A lot of people do not seek therapy/counseling due to the misconception that they have to commit for a long time and maybe not be able to afford it. This is not true. Many clients come weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, etc. It really depends upon your own goals of what you may want to accomplish in counseling/therapy.
- The right “fit” is the most important factor when finding a therapist/counselor. If a person does not feel comfortable with their therapist then therapy/counseling usually does not work. That counselor/therapist may be considered the best in the country. However, if you are not comfortable with them then it does not matter how well a reputation they have. A person must feel comfortable with their therapist/counselor.
All of these five factors are important at meistercounseling.com and Michael Meister strives to allow his clients the space and understanding of how therapy works. Mr. Michael Meister the counselor says that if If you are considering seeking therapy/counseling I can help you like I have helped many others begin living the life that they deserve to live.